Today I’m testing various crossposting options between the new WordPress blog and LJ/DW. The Livejournal Crossposter plugin (despite the straightforward name, it’s one of at least a half-dozen, and the second one I tried) is awesomesauce. First of all, despite the name, it works with LJ clones as well, and while it can only be set up to crosspost to one other blog, turns out I don’t have to crosspost to both LJ and DW — when I crosspost only to DW, the DW blog automatically picks up my post and crossposts to LJ. I’ve also tested editing and deleting posts, both of which work like a charm across all three sites.
I don’t plan to crosspost everything. The WordPress blog is mainly going to be for writing/creative process stuff and project updates (all of which will be mirrored to my other blogs when I post them, which means you can follow wherever you prefer). But I’m delighted with how seamless this is — one click of a button and bing!, my post pops up in all three places with appropriate footers and tags and everything.
… in all its 340-page glory. \o/
It’s not linked from the main page yet; I’m still figuring out what that end of things is going to look like. (I think that I want a single front page for all the Kismet graphic novels, which then links to each novel’s individual page. So I still need to build that.) And I might add another layer of menus at the bottom of each comic page with links to the main page and whatnot. But basically, this was today’s project and I GOT IT DONE. I think this calls for a glass of wine. *pours*
Things I have learned today:
- Internet Explorer is DEMONSPAWN. (Well, okay, I already knew that, but I got to the point where I was so baffled at how to get some of my div tags to be compatible with IE that I just broke down and used tables. Shhh, don’t tell anyone.)
- Linux shell scripting, on the other hand, is awesome. Once I got my page template and CSS in nice working order, the entire 340-page archive was generated using a single while loop (in batches, so that I could swap out different SSI menus).
- The Mac has tools to do a batch filename find-replace! How did I never know this before?
I’ve wanted to get the HM archive on my own domain for a long time, and now it’s there — ad-free, bare-bones, safe and permanent as long as I pay my web hosting bill. I don’t know how to do a lot of fancy pro-quality things with HTML, and my general website design aesthetic is still stuck in 2002 — but I can do basic functional web design and I’m pretty happy with it.
The rest of my July website To Do list, not necessarily in order:
- Portal page for the Kismet graphic novels.
- Locally hosted Sun-Cutter archive (probably based on the HM page template, except with a white background).
- Finish getting Sun-Cutter up on Tumblr.
- Downloadable versions of Hunter’s Moon (PDF and HTML).
- Some sort of gallery.